Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Willem Den Ouden and Iandry Randriamondroso

At one point, these images were what we showed our partners on the film as the final target.  I can see how the finished look of the film comes from them, but at the time I wasn't sure how to get there.  It was like saying "hey look, this is what we can do!", and then realizing you might actually have to figure out how to get there!  Hopefully we got at least halfway there.
  

The biggest influence for these were the etchings of Willem Den Ouden.  This Dutch artist has an amazing series of studies of what appear to be sky-landscapes.  For the presentation art, I used his prints as placement backgrounds in the images of the levitating soldier and the german looking out across the field.  Here are a few pure, unadulterated Den Ouden prints.




The other images feature dramatic washes by my friend, Iandry, who contributed to this film in a big way.  He can pretty much do it all.  It's just black ink on paper and he's made this very elusive, atmospheric effect that is just perfect.  These are just a few of the paintings he created.



I would be remiss not to show you at least one image by Iandry.  I am sure I will post many more in the future, but for now, here is one of my favorites, a linocut titled "Kalangita".


No comments: