Wednesday, January 23, 2008

More WWII Film Backgrounds


In earlier posts (here and here), I talked about the process I used to create the backgrounds in my new short. The image posted at the top is a good example of the kinds of backgrounds I was able to do once I really got going with this method.  It was "painted" in Photoshop on top of this drawing :


The next image is what the scene used to look like, a shot which has since been scrapped.  It just seemed a bit flat.



The following images are from the finished sequence.  Using one dynamic background, I'm able to imitate a camera move around the soldier which might otherwise look stale.  I've also really enjoyed this stuff because it's very easy to have an "animated" background: the different layers in a shot can all stay alive by sliding them, scaling them, playing with their ambient light and focus.  It's been a lot of fun!




1 comment:

Jamal O said...

Nice blog,

I enjoy your designs and really appreciated your pencil tests.